Last Qantas 747 prepares to depart Sydney for Mojave retirement

A worker unloads a Qantas Airways Boeing 747 at Sydney’s International airport in Australia, June 24, 2017. Picture taken June 24, 2017.

SYDNEY: Qantas Airways Ltd chief executive Alan Joyce signed the carrier’s last Boeing Co 747 jet at Sydney airport on Wednesday (Jul 22), shortly before it was due to fly to the Mojave Desert for a retirement brought forward by the coronavirus pandemic.

The journey marks the final flight for a Qantas 747 after 49 years of service with the Australian airline, which had previously planned to work the 747-400 fleet through to the end of the year.

The four-engine plane with less favourable economics than newer-generation 787s and Airbus SE A350s had fallen out of favour even before the pandemic hit but Qantas, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and KLM have hastened retirement plans due to the lack of international travel demand.

Qantas has grounded most international flights until at least July 2021 due to Australian government travel restrictions.

Joyce, who headed up a farewell gathering at Sydney Airport, said Qantas had sold the 747 leaving on Wednesday and five others to General Electric Co. The final jet will deliver a load of freight to Los Angeles before flying on to the Mojave.

Boeing, which has in recent years been manufacturing the latest version of the 747 primarily as a freighter, and its suppliers signalled the end of the plane when they set the final number of parts it would need for the programme at least a year ago.

Qantas was once the world’s only airline with an all 747 fleet. There are only 30 747 passenger jets left in service globally and 132 in storage, according to aviation data provider Cirium, with freighters accounting for 93 per cent of the type still flying.

Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings Inc operates two 747-8 freighters on behalf of Qantas through a wet lease arrangement.

Qantas has also sent its 12 A380 super-jumbos to the Mojave on the expectation they will not return to the fleet for at least another three years.

Z24 News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Twitter will suspend accounts tweeting about conspiracy theory group QAnon

Tue Jul 21 , 2020
SAN FRANCISCO: Twitter said on Tuesday (Jul 22) it would permanently suspend accounts that violate its policies while tweeting about QAnon, a fringe group that claims “deep-state” traitors are plotting against President Donald Trump. Twitter, which announced the change on its Twitter Safety page, said it would not serve content […]

Share

Social menu is not set. You need to create menu and assign it to Social Menu on Menu Settings.