Indian board seeks government nod to host IPL in UAE

Mumbai Indians players celebrate winning the IPL final against Chennai Super Kings on May 13, 2019. Scrapping this year’s tournament because of the coronavirus pandemic would cost more than half a billion dollars

NEW DELHI: The Indian cricket board (BCCI) will seek government permission to stage this year’s Indian Premier League (IPL) in the United Arab Emirates, league chief Brijesh Patel told Reuters on Tuesday (Jul 21).

Monday’s postponement of this year’s Twenty20 World Cup, which had been scheduled to take place in Australia from Oct. 18, has presented the BCCI with a new opportunity to stage the IPL, even if it has to be in another country due to the COVID-19 crisis in India.

Cricket boards in UAE and Sri Lanka have offered to host the league considering the situation in India where the number of coronavirus cases had surged to 1.16 million on Tuesday morning, including 28,084 deaths.

“We are yet to finalise when it will begin, maybe sometime in September,” IPL governing council chairman Patel told Reuters by telephone.

“They (Emirates Cricket Board) made an offer to host it but we require government permission to stage it in UAE.

“We’ll discuss the issue in the next governing council meeting in 7-10 days.”

The BCCI has been looking for a new window in which to stage the lucrative league, which was postponed days before it was to begin in late March, and avoid a potential US$536 million loss in revenue.

Earlier this month, BCCI treasurer Arun Singh Dhumal told Reuters they would consider hosting the IPL abroad as a last resort to salvage the tournament.

The 2009 edition of the franchise-based league, which coincided with India’s elections, was held in South Africa, and the UAE hosted the early matches of the tournament five years later for the same reason.

“We have played there before and they are familiar in organising international matches. They are well-equipped,” Patel said.

“From a pandemic position, too, the situation is significantly better there.”

Z24 News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

'Strong' De Gea under no extra pressure from Manchester Utd, says Solskjaer

Tue Jul 21 , 2020
REUTERS: Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea is mentally strong enough to overcome his errors in their FA Cup semi-final defeat by Chelsea and the club will not put additional pressure on the Spaniard, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said on Tuesday. De Gea, 29, was at fault for Olivier Giroud’s […]

Share

Social menu is not set. You need to create menu and assign it to Social Menu on Menu Settings.