China bans some US chicken, shuts Pepsi plant to fight coronavirus

File photo of a PepsiCo worker watching over a delivery of the soft drinks to a supermarket in Beijing, China.

BEIJING: China banned imports from a top US poultry producer and ordered a Beijing Pepsi factory to close on Sunday (Jun 21) as authorites clamped down on food production and distribution amid a new coronavirus cluster in the capital.

Health officials also reported 22 new virus cases in Beijing, where they have tested more than two million residents as they seek to contain a wave of new infections linked to a wholesale market in the capital.

Imports of frozen chicken from Tyson Foods have been “temporarily suspended”, the General Administration of Customs said, after a virus outbreak was found at one of the company’s production facilities in the US.

People wearing face masks queue to take a swab test during mass testing for the coronavirus in Beijing, China.

Products from the firm that have already arrived in China will be confiscated, the statement said.

US food and drinks giant PepsiCo was also ordered to shut down one of its snack-making plants in Beijing after several employees tested positive, company spokeswoman Fan Zhimin said.

She added that 87 close contacts had been traced and quarantined.

More than 220 people have so far tested positive from the new Beijing clusters that have been traced to chopping boards used to handle imported salmon at the city’s Xinfadi market.

The market supplies more than 70 per cent of Beijing’s fresh produce and has been closed, with officials on Friday advising citizens to dispose of frozen seafood and bean products bought there.

Officials on Friday also announced a nationwide campaign to inspect all fresh products coming from “high-risk countries” following reports of new virus clusters at plants in Germany and the US.

Authorities are targeting those who work in restaurants, supermarkets, markets and food delivery couriers for testing, according to Gao Xiaojun of the Beijing Municipal Helth Commission.

Dozens of communities have also been sealed off in the city to contain the spread, with residents told to avoid non-essential travel and schools closed.

ONE MILLION TESTS

Authorities are conducting tests in batches, according to Gao, allowing them to process up to one million per day.

The new infections reported on Sunday include a nurse – the first health worker to test positive since the re-emergence of the virus just over a week ago.

The chief epidemiologist at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention told reporters on Friday that the new outbreak had been “brought under control”, but Beijing would still see new cases.

The outbreak has also spread to Tongzhou, the administrative hub in Beijing where key government offices are located, health officials said on Sunday.

Infections brought in by Chinese nationals returning home had accounted for the majority of recent cases until the Beijing cluster.

 

Z24 News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

EU and China to seek to cool tensions at video summit

Sun Jun 21 , 2020
FILE PHOTO: An attendant walks past EU and China flags ahead of the EU-China High-level Economic Dialogue at Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing, China June 25, 2018.   BRUSSELS: The European Union and China will seek to cool tensions on Monday (Jun 22) at a video summit, their first formal […]

Share

Social menu is not set. You need to create menu and assign it to Social Menu on Menu Settings.