Trump says US will not lock down again amid rising COVID-19 cases

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump walks on the South Lawn of the White House upon his return to Washington, after a weekend in Bedminster, New Jersey, on Jun 14, 2020.

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump said on Wednesday (Jun 17) the United States would not close businesses again as several states reported rising numbers of new coronavirus infections.

“We won’t be closing the country again. We won’t have to do that,” Trump said in an interview with Fox News Channel.

Trump’s comments come after White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin both said the United States could not shut down the economy again.

In a call with governors, Vice President Mike Pence encouraged them to repeat the administration’s claim that increased testing accounts for the spike in numbers, the New York Times has reported.

The paper’s analysis found that positive cases outstripped the average number of administered tests in at least 14 states.

Restaurants, gyms, schools and other locations closed down in March as the country braced for the coronavirus, which has so far sickened 2.16 million Americans and killed nearly 118,000.

Millions of Americans found themselves unemployed as a result of the pandemic. Trump had previously touted the strength of the economy, making it central to his re-election bid in November.

 

Z24 News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Football: Quick turnaround leaves Arteta scrambling for injury cover

Thu Jun 18 , 2020
REUTERS: Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta says he cannot dwell on Wednesday’s 3-0 defeat at Manchester City as he has to focus on getting his starting lineup ready for their next Premier League game on Saturday after seeing two players injured and one sent off. Midfielder Granit Xhaka picked up a […]

Share

Social menu is not set. You need to create menu and assign it to Social Menu on Menu Settings.