Exclusive-Congo reviewing US$6 billion mining deal with Chinese investors – Finance Minister

Democratic Republic of Congo’s government is reviewing its US$6 billion “infrastructure-for-minerals” deal with Chinese investors as part of a broader examination of mining contracts, Finance Minister Nicolas Kazadi told Reuters.

President Felix Tshisekedi said in May that some mining contracts could be reviewed because of concerns they are not sufficiently benefiting Congo, which is the world’s largest producer of cobalt and Africa’s leading miner of copper.

His government announced this month it had formed a commission to reassess the reserves and resources at China Molybdenum’s massive Tenke Fungurume copper and cobalt mine in order to “fairly lay claim to (its) rights”.

Kazadi said in an interview that the 2007 deal agreed with Chinese state-owned firms Sinohydro Corp and China Railway Group Limited was also being reviewed to ensure it is “fair” and “effective”.

Sinohydro and China Railway did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Elie Tshinguli, deputy director-general of the Sicomines copper and cobalt joint venture in Congo, majority-owned by Sinohydro and China Railway, did not respond to a request for comment.

Under the deal struck with the government of Tshisekedi’s predecessor, Joseph Kabila, Sinohydro and China Railway agreed to build roads and hospitals in exchange for a 68per cent stake in the Sicomines venture.

The deal formed a key part for Kabila’s development plan for the country, but critics say few of the promised infrastructure projects have been fully realised and have complained about a lack of transparency in the deal.

“We saw that there were some governance issues in the past,” said Kazadi. “We needed more clarity on the contract, the kind of finance that is behind (the) investment.”

He said the reviews were “not a matter of threatening any investors” and that the government was conducting the review “in close partnership with the Chinese themselves”.

Chinese investors control about 70per cent of Congo’s mining sector, according to Congo’s chamber of mines, after snapping up lucrative projects from Western companies in recent years.

After Tshisekedi announced the reviews in May, a move attributed by some analysts to Western pressure to go after Chinese companies, China’s ambassador to Congo warned the country “must not be a battlefield between major powers”.

Kazadi also said he expected the International Monetary Fund’s review next month of the US$1.5 billion three-year programme that received final approval in July to confirm all the conditions had been met. “There is no doubt that the review should be successful and will lead to a new disbursement in December,” he said, adding the next disbursement of just over US$200 million would be used to bolster foreign currency reserves. Meanwhile the government plans to use half of the 1021.7 million Special Drawing Rights (US$1.45 billion) – the IMF’s own currency – allocated to Congo to further shore up reserves, he said.

A big chunk of the remainder will be used to launch an investment fund aimed at diversifying Congo’s economy, he said. “It will implement new projects in new kinds of areas, like agriculture or energy production,” said Kazadi.

Z24 News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

China sets rules on computer codes that guide consumers

Fri Aug 27 , 2021
BEIJING: China today announced new rules to limit the power of computer programmes used to drive the choices of the country’s consumers, who must instead be encouraged to use online culture to “spread positive energy”. The measures are part of a broader crackdown by Beijing on the tech sector and […]

Share

Social menu is not set. You need to create menu and assign it to Social Menu on Menu Settings.